Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Part 2.....cause Carra made me.....

We ended up standing at the first booth that we got to for over an hour talking to some neighbors we had never met before. It was nice to finally be able to ask some questions about our place and theirs! They own a lovely home not too far down the road from us and also one just up the street! The home that is just up the street is a 1910's home being refurbished into a photography studio. They've refinished the wood floors and they are stunning! I'll have to request permission to photograph these homes so that you can enjoy them!

I spent most of my time in Ridge Spring talking and laughing, but I did buy a hosta from sweet Ms. Harriet for my yard. She's such a hoot to talk with! Here's a quick snap of her cute store!
 
I did find out from a local that our house is the second oldest house in Ridge Spring. Wow. That was worth the early morning! Now I really need to get to the Edgefield Courthouse and finish my research! While visiting around, we met the very sweet owner of Magnolia Ridge and her adorable daughter. I got to talk about my horses to someone who could laugh along with me! It was wonderful! I picked up a small Wedgwood pitcher with a hunt scene on it and a fox hound for the handle. It was chippy and white and sweet!

We decided to head on toward Edgefield and Johnston so we walked home and got the truck. I already knew furniture was in my future and the Mustang wasn't going to hold it although riding in the convertible would have been nice! Our first stop after "The Ridge" was Ward.

 
The clock wasn't running so no, I didn't get there that early!

This was a cool shot. I love these old "ghost signs". This building was very cool!
 
 
We sort of drifted through the sales in Ward. Mostly clothes and children's toys with some various car parts thrown in. Between Ward and Johnston we stopped to admire some old homes...
Yes....I missed that furniture! It looked lovely!

We got an excellent sausage dog and some lemonade in front of this house. That swept dirt yard is actually very typical of old Southern homes.
 
 
In Johnston, we just found a place to park and decided to hoof it a bit! I missed a GORGEOUS Drexel dresser in lovely condition with a wonderful curvy front. I did however score this....
Isn't it pretty??

I had my eye on this also but it was already sold. The owner of the home had built this himself! The door on the right there in the middle opened to a space large enough to hide a coffee maker and a toaster. It was very cool.

These folks had purchased this circa 1874 home a year previous sight unseen! This home was built by a Confederate general and has only had three owners in it's entire history. In that time, it's stood empty only 20 years. It is a gorgeous Victorian.
 

I spoke with these folks for quite a while! They were very nice and great to chat with! This is where I ran into Ms. Donna. http://distresseddonnadownhome.blogspot.com/ I've been reading her blog for a while now and I love it! The homeowner was very confused as Donna and I seemed to know each other....but not! I had to explain our blogs! After chatting a bit, they told me that they had found my dresser in the old horse barn at the back of their property and asked if I'd like to see it. Oh yeah! So, here is the old barn that protected that dresser for many years...
Yep. That dresser and another piece of furniture survived the years in this old barn. It still had hay inside!

I was in love with the old door. Someone added a few newer brackets to try to steady it. It was a truly lovely old barn full of chippy goodies. There was still an old door and a mantle piece inside!
 
 
Once we finished our tour there and loaded my dresser, it was lunch time! Vince and I aren't ones to miss a meal so we decided to head on back to Ridge Spring to enjoy some of the fare offered right downtown.  
 
A house we passed on the way home. This house had wonderful details! It just needs a little doing up! *sigh* If I ever win the lottery.....
 
 
We drove our truck home and walked back uptown. We headed straight for a vendor selling barbecue sandwiches, homemade fries, and sweet tea! It was messy and wonderful! We sat on a bench and watched the people and ate some chocolate ice cream.
A view from our bench.....
 
We called it a day about 2:00 and headed home to enjoy some time on our porch and a well deserved nap!!
 

Another old home we pass by in our neighborhood. I love this front porch!
 
All in all, it was a wonderful day! I stayed well within my budget, got a few lovely things, met some awesome folks, and walked almost 3 miles! Next year, I set my clock back a bit....well, maybe....

 


No comments:

Post a Comment